During the 1970’s, white clinker were made in an old kiln dating back to 1934 – which was actually the world’s largest kiln for many years. It was not until after the war when larger kilns were built.
The cement clinker were ground in an old grinding plant, which was started and controlled manually in a specific order. When machines had to be stopped, it was done in reverse order. The monitoring was also a chapter by itself – the miller simply walked about listening, feeling and watching how the machines performed. He carried a large hammer, adjustable spanner and oil can with him so that he could continuously maintain these old machines.
Also the packaging was done manually. A sack-man rolled back and forth on an ‘office chair’ and put sacks onto a 6-spout packaging machine. When the last of a total of six sacks were put on in one end, the sack at the other end was filled. The filled sack fell of the spout, and then another sack had to be ready.
Because of the energy-crises during the middle and end of the 1970’s, it had actually been decided to stop production of white cement and to focus only on the grey cement market. This, fortunately, did not happen. It was discovered that other factories had stopped their production of white cement, and it was quickly realised that there would be short supply of white cement. Now, instead, it became really good business to produce white cement.
Since then, Aalborg Portland has grown in the business area of white cement. The group is globally represented with both production units and sales- and distribution networks.